Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A birthday gift

Last March I got an email from my daughter, Lindsay, asking if I'd make her a quilt that she liked on this blog for Christmas.
I'd never sewn a quilt before, but I thought that nine months would be plenty of time to learn.  Nine months IS plenty of time to learn, but one must start on time if one is to finish on time.
I waited until July to buy fabric.  I must have spent over an hour staring at different shades of greens, blues, and other shades of Kona cotton in the fabric store.  Picking out fabric was definitely the hardest part for me.  I'm not a calico kind of person and neither is Lindsay.  Her quilt had to have fresh, happy colors.
By the time all of the fabric was selected and cut and ready to be sewn it was probably October.  I probably spent a whole day laying out the pattern and mixing colors.
Then came the sewing.   I was really looking forward to this part because I just love sitting at my machine and making stitches.  It's such a calming thing for me. I'll just say that it's a good thing that I love to stitch because I realized more than halfway through that my 1/4 inch seam foot was really giving my a bigger seam.  I had to take out almost all of my stitches and start over.
At this point I realized that I was not going to get this quilt finished in time for Christmas unless I gave up sleeping.  Lindsay's birthday became my new target date.
And here it is!
IMGP0006wm
Yes, I know that the triangles don't line up perfectly.  I'm aware of every imperfection.  But I'm good with sharing this imperfect quilt with the world.
I loved making it for my daughter.  The colors are so Lindsay.
Here's a closeup of the back and binding.
quilt back wm
I wanted to use text fabric since Lindsay has always been a wordy kind of girl.   Hand-stitching the binding was probably my favorite part of the whole process.
I'm already thinking about what I'd like to do for my next quilt.

No comments: